Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Gaze Upon Me?


I have been trying to be a bit inconspicuous taking pictures around town - to not stick out as a tourist or voyeur.  Yet, I have found that, more than merely the camera reflecting my attitude or 'gaze,' I am occasionally becoming the object of interest.

For instance, while on the bus home I was trying to capture my 'daily life' and experience my surroundings.  Whelp, unbeknownst to me, my flash was on and attracted the attention of THE ENTIRE BUS.  Much like Dhana, I had a moment of panic, that 'don't look at me' - nothing to see here folks - kind of moment.  I was foreigner, the object of the 'gaze.'  People were looking at me and returning my curiosity with their own.

In some cases, these moments have sparked conversation, forging connections between strangers that otherwise might have merely passed each other on the street.  For several of my friends, it has made them envious of seminar with a creative component and prompted them to shift their own 'gaze.'  Through the course of this project, intentional or not, I have not only defamiliarized myself, but others as well.  Perhaps I am already doing the good work of Wellbeing?  Or maybe I am just creeping people out...


No comments:

Post a Comment